- Flexible work: Remote within Australia & NZ timezones or Melbourne CBD office
- Senior team member, reporting to the Principal Engineer
- Software startup, cutting edge technology
Operata is building the world’s first experience monitoring and assurance platform for cloud contact centers.
Our mission is to make ‘people experience’ the measure of communications quality - It's about better connection.
We are a remote-first company headquartered in Melbourne with team members across Australia and New Zealand.
About the role
Lead Developers at Operata are focused on making Operata the most reliable, trusted performance and experience monitoring platform around.
Our engineering teams have built data pipelines that process millions of events per day and applications that support powerful monitoring and analytics at scale;
- Our platforms are built on AWS, where we use technologies including EKS, Lambda, Kinesis, CloudFormation and S3.
- Our software is created using Go, Python, Scala, React, Redux, Cypress and Jest.
- We rely on Kubernetes, Serverless, Docker, Opensearch, Flink, Superset, Postgres and Auth0.
- We use a combination of managed and self-hosted approaches to build and manage our systems including Gitlab, Terraform, Jira and Datadog.
How you will make an impact
- Lead the design and definition of software systems and components to meet the team’s remit, considering robustness, fault tolerance, scalability and performance.
- Drive towards continuous delivery; Act as an enabler for team members, removing obstacles from their paths and identifying potentials for delivery, business and process improvements.
- Enthusiasm and resilience. You will dig deeply into problem spaces and have strong views, weakly held. You will iterate, prove or discard ideas along the way.
- Collaborating closely with the Operata team to deliver excellent software for our customers in an agile environment.
- Strive for technical excellence; Help communicate the healthy tension between the desire for immediate delivery and the long-term viability of the codebase.
- Being responsible for production services, its consistent uptime, troubleshooting, nonfunctional SLAs.
- Support experiments to assess the performance of various algorithms and use the results to iteratively improve the platform.
- Strong customer focus. You will look at problems and solutions from the perspective of its value for users and make customer experience the heart of everything we do.
- Structured thinking. You will have the ability to break down broad goals and long-term strategies into manageable tasks.
- Have 7+ years demonstrable experience in full-stack development.
- Bachelor Level University qualifications in IT, Computer Science or related Engineering field.
- You will have a deep understanding of Server Side development (Go or similar, Micro-services architecture), strong technical leadership skills and a desire to mentor more junior members of the team.
- You have demonstrable data engineering experience (ideally with our core technologies), and a very good understanding of data modelling and design patterns.
- Experience developing within the AWS stack is highly advantageous.
- You promote openness, diversity of opinions and inclusive discussions at all times to evaluate a wide variety of ideas and perspectives in solving challenging problems.
- You demonstrate clear decision making and good trade-offs in complex situations comprising multiple opinions, needs, teams, technologies, cloud providers, and architectural settings.
- You communicate effectively with stakeholders ranging from founders and executives to junior engineers across the breadth and depth of the business.
- You exemplify high accountability, integrity, and resilience to maintain focus on both big-picture goals and milestones to get there.
- You have an open mind. The questions we ask often don’t always have clear-cut answers - this role requires the ability to be creative in forging unconventional methods.
A great culture to bring out your best
For us, better connection is something we live - with our people, customers, partners and our team, it’s reflected in our 8 core values:
- Execute the why. Grow with purpose.
- Play the long game. Build respect, value relationships.
- Progress over perfection. Act and iterate.
- Be fearless. Be empowered to innovate without fear.
- We’re customers too. We solve the problems we have.
- Impress yourself. Do it because you think it is valuable.
- Leave it better than we found it. Use our knowledge to do some good.
- Be thoughtful. Think first, empathise, consider our impact.
Read more about our culture and values
Perks you'll love
- Flexible working arrangements, so you can to do your best work in a way that works for you.
- Distributed working allowance, including workspace improvements and high-speed internet.
- Family Flexibility & Parental Leave, with up to twelve weeks paid maternity leave in addition to the PPLS.
- Career Development, including a training budget and time-off to hone your learning.
- We believe in being a Carbon Positive Employer and offsetting our CO2 emissions.
- Wellness programs to keep you fit in body and mind whilst working remotely.
- Rest up with a Spotify Premium, Netflix, Disney or YouTube Premium subscription - on the house!
- We offer the latest hardware and the best tools-of-the-trade to do your job well.
- Regular Friday fun-times and heaps of SWAG!
Read more about the benefits of working at Operata here.
Operata is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Operata prohibits discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, nationality, citizenship, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or any other unlawful consideration.